Cavity walls are designed to prevent water penetrating the internal walls of your home
Cavity walls are designed to prevent water penetrating the internal walls of your home. The air space between the inner and outer walls allows any water that does get in to drain down to the footings. However, for this to work the cavity must be completely clear.
How a cavity may be blocked
The cavity may become blocked because:
- It was not cleared correctly when the house was constructed
- Old lime internal mortar has come away and built up over time
- Debris got in during building repairs or modifications
This debris can form a bridge that carries moisture across to the interior of the house, which in time will cause penetrating damp and mould.
Cavity wall cleaning process
- We safely remove bricks to gain good access to the cavity.
- A camera is inserted in the cavity and used to inspect the condition.
- Th cavity will then be cleared means of a dust extractor and manual removal.
- Once cleared, bricks will be carefully replaced and finished.